You may want to start substituting water in place of sodas and other beverages.
Water is the second most popular beverage in the U.S. after soft drinks. This is a not positive, since sugary soda is a huge health hazard, raising the risk of obesity, stroke, and other heart problems. However, these dangers can be avoided if people choose to drink water, which doesn’t have negative side effects.
- Drinking water is essential to your health. There are many reasons to drink water. Drinking water helps maintain the balance of body fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature.
- Water can help control calories. While water does not have any special effect on weight loss, substituting it for higher calorie beverages can help. It also helps if you eat foods that are water-rich. It is healthier and helps cut down calorie intake. It can also help boost your metabolism. Drinking water can raise your body’s ability to burn fat. Even drinking a few glasses of water before a meal can fill you so that you naturally eat less.
- Water helps you keep alert at work. Dehydration is the most common cause of fatigue during daytime. It can make you better at your job in a way, being hydrated protects against short-term memory loss, which can happen due to being dehydrated. This prevents you from being worse at your job.
- Water helps prevent pain in the body. Aching joints, muscle cramps, and strains can all occur if the body is dehydrated.
- Water can help lower stress. Running water can have a benefit on your body, eliciting a soothing response to help calm a person.
- Water helps energize muscles. When muscles don’t have enough fluids, they don’t work as well and performance suffers.
- Water maintains your fluid balance. 60% of your body is made of water. Drinking enough of it maintains the body’s balance, which helps transport nutrients in the body, regulate body temperature, and digest food.
- Water increases energy and relieves fatigue. Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. Your energy levels are also raised.
- Water helps improve your skin complexion. It moisturizes your skin, keeping it fresh and removing wrinkles.
- Water helps your immune system. People who constantly drink water are less likely to get sick. Drinking a large amount of water helps fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attacks.
One of the biggest problems those who drink high volumes of coffee or soft drinks run into is that those beverages eventually replace water as the daily form of hydration. Think twice next time you reach for that soda or coffee, why not replace it with a refreshing glass of water.